Welcome to Fire Sprinkler Times

FOR THE PRESERVATION OF LIFE AND PROPERTY

Brought to you by the Northern Illinois Fire Sprinkler Board

Member Login

Lost your password?

Successful Activations (Summer 2018 Edition)

August 2018

Sprinklers Extinguish Fire at Chicago Public School

CHICAGO, IL (August 18, 2018) – A fire broke out on the third floor of Burley Elementary School located in Chicago’s Lakeview neighborhood. Upon arrival, the Chicago Fire Department reported the fire alarms were activated, and the school’s sprinkler system extinguished the fire. An initial investigation appeared to be spontaneous combustion, which originated from rags that had been used for staining, according to the CFD. The principal of the school gave credit to firefighters for their efforts. There were no injuries. x

Source: WGN News

 

Sprinklers Prevent Fire from Spreading

DANVILLE, IL (August 8, 2018)—The Danville Fire Department responded to a sprinkler system alarm at a recycling plant. When firefighters arrived, they found smoke coming from the building. A machinery error started the fire, causing about $15,000 worth of damage. The sprinkler system kept the fire from spreading.

Source: Vermillion County First

  

Single Sprinkler Saves Multi-million Dollar Business

LAGRANGE PARK, IL (August 1, 2018)—The LaGrange Park Fire Department responded to an activated fire alarm at a manufacturing facility. Upon arrival, the fire alarm was sounding and smoke was pouring out of the overhead doors. Employees attempted to use fire extinguishers before a single fire sprinkler activated and completely put out the fire. One employee who was in the area when the fire started was treated by paramedics and transported to a nearby hospital with minor injuries. An investigation revealed that the fire started when plastic being cut by a laser overheated, and the plastic dust and hoses in the ventilation ignited. Damage at the multi-million dollar business is assessed at less than $5,000.

Source: La Grange Park Fire Department

 

July 2018

Sprinklers Control Fire at Warehouse

ITASCA, IL (July 31, 2018) —The Roselle Fire Department responded to an activated fire alarm at a warehouse. When they arrived on the scene, the outside of the building appeared normal, but inside there was smoke. Two sprinkler heads activated and controlled the fire, which was ignited by plastic carts of dirty rags. The sprinklers were credited in preventing the fire from becoming a major one because of the amount of flammable materials in the building. No one was injured, and the business opened later that morning.

Source: Robert Morris, Roselle Fire Department

 

Electrical fire at water treatment facility in Elgin

ELGIN, IL (July 20, 2018) – An electrical motor failure at a building that houses large quantities of hazardous chemicals sparked a Friday night fire at a water treatment facility. The alarm activated fire and hazardous material crews from Elgin and South Elgin Fire Departments, who entered the building to find that the fire had been extinguished by the facility’s fire sprinkler system. There were no injuries, and no impact to the city’s water treatment operations.

Source: Chicago Tribune

 

Fire in student apartment kitchen at Illinois State University

NORMAL, IL (July 19, 2018) – Normal Fire Department responded to a fire in the off-campus housing area of Illinois State University, to find a kitchen fire in the home had already been extinguished by an activated fire sprinkler. There were no injuries in the incident.

Source: Normal Illinois Fire Department

 

Building renovation sparks fire at an industrial facility

MOUNT PROSPECT, IL (July 16, 2018) – Repairs to a vacant industrial building in Mount Prospect led to a fire when sparks from roof repair operations landed on insulation inside the building. Fire crews arrived to find the building filled with smoke, and an activated fire sprinkler holding the fire in check. No injuries or were reported, and no major damage occurred.

Source: The Daily Herald

 

Fire sprinklers extinguish apartment building fire

VERNON HILLS, IL (July 7, 2018) – An afternoon fire at an apartment building in Vernon Hills caused the evacuation of the building by residents. Crews from the Countryside Fire Protection District arrived to find water coming from a fourth floor unit, and a fire that had already been extinguished by an activated fire sprinkler. The fire was caused by hot cigarettes placed in a cardboard box inside a closet. No injuries were reported.

Source: The Daily Herald

 

June 2018

Bedding fire at a mental health facility in Decatur

DECATUR, IL (JUNE 17, 2018) – A early morning fire at Decatur Manor, an intermediate care facility that treats mentally ill patients, brought firefighters to the scene this weekend. Bedding in one room had caught fire, filling the building with smoke. The facility’s sprinkler system activated and extinguished the fire. All residents were safely evacuated, and no injuries were reported.

Source: WandTV.com

Leave a Reply